More Top News
- Chinese PM Dismisses Claims Beijing Keeping Currency Artificially Low
- Kandahar Governor Appeals for More Troops
- Afghan President Considers Allowing Foreigners on Election Commission
- Afghan Officials: Four Suicide Blasts Kill 30 in Kandahar City
- 13 People Dead in Another Suicide Bombing in Pakistan
- Iraqi PM Remains Ahead After Partial Vote Count
- Israel Perplexed After Stinging Rebuke From US
- Bosnia Indicts Serb Police Commander for Srebrenica Massacre
- Obama Announces Education Program
- Immigration Backlog Overwhelms US Courts
- US Reports Steady Progress in Afghanistan
Afghan attack 'a warning to US'
Bomb attacks on the Afghan city of Kandahar were a warning to US and Nato forces not to target the region, the Taliban say.Fake invasion panics Georgia
Panic is sparked in Georgia after a bogus TV news report said Russian tanks had invaded and the president was dead.
|QUOTE OF THE DAY|
|Unless they release Suu Kyi and allow her and her party to participate in the elections, it’s a complete farce and therefore contrary to their road map to democracy, |
—Alberto Romulo, foreign minister of the Philippines.
|By MIN LWIN|
|Burma's ruling junta has finished construction work on three nuclear reactors and will soon be ready to put them into operation, according to military sources.|
|By THE IRRAWADDY|
|In the latest sign that this year's vote will be neither free nor fair, Burma's rulers have ordered a ban on reporting of controversial election-related issues.|
|By KYAW THEIN KHA|
|At least seven political groups, including one established pro-government party, are preparing to register to take part in the upcoming election, according to the leaders of the groups.|
|By JULHAS ALAM|
|Bangladeshi government discouraged aid groups from giving food to the undocumented Rohingyas, fearing it would attract a huge new influx of refugees.|
|By DENIS D GRAY|
|Thousands of red-shirted, anti-government demonstrators converged on the Thai capital from the north and northeast Saturday, vowing to oust the government in a mass, do-or-die display of muscle.|
(Interview) With the ruling junta having announced the electoral laws for its planned 2010 elections, ...
Political turmoil halts nationality verification in Thailand
The beginnings of political turmoil in Thailand has brought a halt to the process ...2010 election carries no weight
(Interview) With the Burmese military junta’s electoral laws effectively banning prospective ...
Election analysis barred in Burmese publications
Weekly publications in Burma have been prohibited from publishing any comment or analysis ...