2.19.2010

Breaking News of UN Human Rights Special Rapporteur Tomas Ojea Quintana press confrence at Rangoon Airport

Photobucket

UN Human Rights Special Rapporteur Tomas Ojea Quintana made a press conference held at the Yangon International Airport this evening just before he boarded the plane for Bangkok.
He told to news men as follow;

“I deeply regret that my special request to meet Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was not granted. I had requested specifically to meet Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in advance of my mission. Nonetheless this meeting did not take place. I am disappointed that even this time I was not able to see her in this crucial time of the election year, which will be the first national elections in 20 years. Her role in the elections will be critical for the coming elections to be seen as credible,”

“If granted my meeting with
Aung San Suu Kyi would have been positive indication of the Myanmar government’s willingness to engage with the international human rights system,”


“Anyhow during my talks with Myanmar government authorities I have repeatedly requested Myanmar government to release Daw Aung San Suu Kyi immediately from her house arrest,”
“Without full participation of the people including the 2200 prisoners of conscience and the environment that allows the parties to engage in the range of electoral activities, the elections to be held will not be credible,”

“I am deeply concerned about the systematic and indiscrimination faced by the Muslim community.”

Reported by Internal reporter of Saffron Mail Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment