Taliban claims responsibility for attack on compound outside Herat city, western AfghanistanFull story »
- WikiLeaks Defends Release Of US Iraqi War Documents
- G20 Agrees to Give Emerging Nations More Power in IMF
- US Gives Pakistan Long-Term Military Aid Pledge
- Proposed Loyalty Oath Stirs Anger of Israeli-Arab Minority
- French Senate Passes Controversial Retirement Bill
- Obama: Republicans Threaten Gains in Reforming Financial Sector
- Egypt's Ruling Party Announces President Mubarak Will Run Again
- US Officials : No More Time to Waste for Referenda in Sudan
- Russians Take Another Look at Global Warming
- Smoking Now The Leading Cause Of Death Worldwide
- Excerpts: Iraq war logs
- Tidal wave of files raises new questions
- What is Wikileaks?
- Does the release put lives at risk?
|By THE IRRAWADDY|
|Residents of Ramree Island say that many are in need of emergency assistance after Cyclone Giri hit the northern Arakan coast with strong winds and high waves on Friday.|
|By THE IRRAWADDY|
|The Burmese authorities are keeping a close eye on monasteries and pagodas in downtown Rangoon after monks and activists reportedly declare plans to protest next month's election.|
|By WILIAM BOOT|
|One of Thailand's largest construction companies is hoping to sign a major contract in the next week or two to develop a port on Burma’s southeast coast facing the Andaman Sea.|
|By BA KAUNG|
|The eye of Cyclone Giri strikes Arakan, cutting phone links in the region.|
|By SAW YAN NAING|
|Thailand's Foreign Minister said Burmese refugees will be repatriated voluntarily only if the political situation in their homeland is peaceful.|
|By KO HTWE|
|A group of ethnic leaders and politicians opposed to the Nov. 7 election will meet in Chin State on Sunday and call for a Panglong-like conference to seek national reconciliation.|
(Interview) With women’s rights on the decline in Burma, Mizzima reporter The The interviewed Thin Thin Aung ... Giri winds build in Arakan, ‘contact lost with residents’
Cyclone Giri hit the western coast of Burma near Kyaukphyu, Arakan State at 5 p.m. yesterday, ...
Voices from the electorate IV
The following is the fourth in a series featuring opinions from a cross-section of Burmese society, ...
Ban report to UN downplays Burma abuses, ignores envoy
UN chief Ban Ki-moon’s recent report to the General Assembly on the situation of human rights in ...
Western Burma battens down as Cyclone Giri lashes coast
Winds and driving rain from a strengthening Cyclone Giri are lashing Burma’s western coast as it was ...
Harvard economist speaks to complexities of change
(Analysis) In a quip-laden keynote address, Indian award-winning economist Amartya Sen recently put ...