The suspension will also affect Arctic oil drilling off the coast of AlaskaFull story »
More Top News
- BP's 'Top Kill' Procedure Poses Technical Challenges
- BP Starts Operation to Stop Oil Leak
- Obama to Face Media on Gulf Oil Disaster
- North Korea Scraps Military Safeguards with South
- Thais Fear Renewed Conflict as Government Plans Reconciliation
- Sudan's Bashir Sworn In to Another 5-Year Term
- Russia Rejects Iranian Criticism of Moscow as 'Emotional'
- Obama Administration Unveils Security Strategy
- Amnesty International Releases 2010 Human Rights Report
- Clinton Calls on China to Help Punish North Korea
- North Korea Cuts Some Links with South
| Ever since the military regime lost in the 1990 elections, they have been trying to violently sideline the NLD. |
—Win Tin, executive member of the NLD
|By KYAW THEIN KHA|
|About 150 party members and friends gathered at veteran NLD leader Tin Oo's house to commemorate their election victory in 1990.|
|By THE IRRAWADDY|
|The last letters that Britain's former prime minister, Gordon Brown, wrote from No.10 were to Nelson Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi.|
|By LAWI WENG|
|The armed ethnic groups in Burma have agreed to make a unified response if one of their members is attacked by junta forces.|
|By BA KAUNG|
|Leaders of the NLD splinter group register their party amid claims of increasing public support.|
|By ALEX ELLGEE|
|Twenty years to the day since the NLD's landslide victory, activists in Mae Sot hold a mock election.|
|By SAW YAN NAING|
|Amnesty International lists Burma, North Korea and China among Asian countries that detain and harass human rights defenders.|
US Senator Jim Webb is to pay his second visit to military-ruled Burma during a tour of ...
Election victory day observed
Burma’s main opposition group, the National League for Democracy, held the 20th ...
Mingala market ‘new in two months’
Mingala wholesale market, gutted in a devastating 33-hour fire, will be renovated ...
Transocean drilled in Burmese waters linked to drug lord
Swiss-American firm Transocean, presently embroiled in the BP Gulf of Mexico ...
Poet of secret Than Shwe insult freed
Human Rights Watch award-winning poet Saw Wei was released today, his wife said, ...